Instructor: Anne Agard

annie.agard@gmail.com

Monday, November 28, 2011

Not Getting Married

When I was nineteen, I was planning to get married. I was very much in love, and very excited about it, but it didn't work out. My boyfriend decided he didn't want to go through with it, and broke it off. At the time, I was heartbroken, but now I realize that we would not have been happy together, and that I was actually lucky even though I didn't think so at the time.

Soon after we broke up, my former boyfriend joined the Navy, and later became a career officer. I would have hated the life of a military wife, moving from place to place. I would probably have been bored with the social life in the military. I think it's very likely that the marriage would have ended in divorce. Perhaps I would have had children to raise on my own. I might not have been able to travel on my own, or had the kind of career I have today.

Sometimes things turn out for the best, even though you are very unhappy about them at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment